In between her hustle to find 🔥🔥🔥 tops for you, yes YOU, we caught up with Suna Brand, our tops buyer to find out more about what we can expect for #SS17 tops. Plus, she shares her best piece of advice on how you can become the next best fashion buyer.
1. What’s it like to be the tops buyer for The FIX?
It’s basically the best job in the world! It’s a very creative and fast-moving commodity so it requires a lot of hustling to ensure we’re ahead of the trend. I love the adrenaline of always looking for the next best thing so I wouldn’t swop it for anything!
2. What’s a typical day like for you?
We’re in the business of fast fashion, so believe me, nothing happens slowly! My day consists of trade analysis, fittings, approvals, trend research and design meetings. Every day may be different, but it’s never dull!
3. How did you become a tops buyer?
I firstly studied fashion design and then decided to travel and work overseas for a couple of years. When I returned, I got my lucky break and started out as a trainee buyer. The rest is history as they say!
4. Best piece of advice for our gals wanting to pursue buying as a career?
Besides having true grit and perseverance to achieve your dreams, you need to have a unique flair and an eye for trends. If that sounds like you, it would be ideal to study fashion, even if it’s part time. Get experience on your CV and build your brand. Every bit counts, be it working as a casual in stores, having a blog or a great Insta account. Make yourself stand out from the rest and don’t give up!
5. How should we be topping it off this season?
It takes a brave girl to go into this season without a bardot top (off the shoulder). It is the MUST HAVE item of the season, be it in a poplin stripe or a print. For even more va va voom, don’t be scared to go for exaggerated sleeves. Puff sleeves, ruffle sleeves, bell sleeves…it’s all about sleeves! Just go and get one or five of these tops RN!!!!!
6. Fave place in the world to travel to?
7. Fashion rules you live by?
Fashion rules? What fashion rules? Be a rebel. Fashion is fun…always look for an excuse to dress up! Fashion changes so don’t be afraid to change with it… Challenge your style sometimes. Don’t fall into a rut. It’s boring!
8. You have 10 seconds to finish off these sentences. GO!
- My favourite emoji is…. 🙈
- I have to hit the dancefloor when the DJ plays… Jidenna – Classic Man ft. Roman GianArthur
- My motto is… I like my money where I can see it, hanging in my closet!